20100503

Triancula

It's very interesting to see the local reaction to snakes and spiders.
I have a healthy respect for them myself, but I'm not opposed to petting
a constrictor snake, or lifting a triancula with a shovel to look at
it's fangs. In general, I understand this to be a little more friendly
than the average person but the reaction here is nothing short of over
dramatic.

The Lutz's have a few pet snakes in small fish tank type containers.
The largest one is a good sized constrictor of almost two meters in
length. The smallest one is probably half a meter long. Anton once
took the small one out of it's cage when we had a crowd of people over.
Instantaneously the people that saw the snake in his hand dashed for the
closest exit pushing, shoving, climbing over anything (including people)
in their way. It was a stampede. The reaction was quite similar when
one of the guys found this triancula in the stump of a tree that we were
removing. Even as I leaned down to get a closer shot (taking one of the
pictures I was probably within a foot of the large spider) the unnatural
fear that overtakes the average Papua New Guinean was so strong that
they felt fear for themselves and moved instinctively farther away.

Life around here is usually anything but dull... I should really take
video in the middle of one of these episodes sometime... ;-)

No comments: