20101027

OSHA Eat Your Heart Out

Edit: (2010-11-04), one more post that needed fixing...:


This was the result of a day's work.  You think I'm joking...  Let me elaborate:

The day started out when someone decided that the wooden scaffolding had been up long enough and had gotten weak, so they didn't want to climb up on it.  Therefore, it must be removed and replaced.  Using bush-knives to cut the conda (vine rope) the scaffolding was removed by about ten in the morning.  Then all five guys disappeared for about two hours to go find the appropriate replacement trees, cut them down, and carry them back to the job site.  Next, they had to be erected by the very complicated process of stabbing the log vertically into the ground five or six times until it was sufficiently planted, then crawling up the freestanding structure to attach the horizontal logs.

By this time it was after three and now time to work on the facha boards, the initial reason for wanting to use scaffolding in the first place.  However, in the infant wisdom (no, that's the word I meant to use) found here, the scaffolding did not reach to the desired location.     Instead of building their scaffolding to fit the project, they attempted to use ladders.  This was when I came along... Not before they had set up just one ladder that was pushing on the back side of the gutter facha board which is nailed with two very small nails.  Fearing a repeat of the tumbling action that occurred on this same roof about 9 meters away, I told them to do something else.  This was their idea... I probably should have vetoed this plan too... but they were already standing in this orientation by the time I refilled my water bottle and any distracting movement or sound from me was sure to send at least a couple people tumbling to their demise...

Also, they don't like to measure things first to cut and nail them on the ground where they can actually work, they would prefer to put full length boards up, nail them by randomly swinging a hammer (bending a handful of nails) then later cutting the board to the correct length...

My head hurts from the number of times I've hit my own head because of the things I've seen... I think I'm going to go lay down.

No comments: