20110430

Bent Bit

The number of unique experiences at Kaiam grows... I've broken many a
drill bit in my time, but I've never seen one bend like this one did. I
was making a bracket for our new hydraulic oil filter and it required a
hole for a bolt. So, starting with a punch, then a small drill bit,
then a little bit larger, finally I worked my way up to this one. It
sat nicely in the hole, it's point recessed easily in the existing
cavity. Then I pressed the trigger on the Dewalt only to have it nearly
jump out of my hands. At first I was puzzled, I had the drill straight
up and down, why did it buck like that? Upon trying to recenter the
bit, the reason was obvious and the result just demanded a photo...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope your wrists aren't hurting, as I'm guessing this was not on a drill press.
What about the object you were drilling--is it broken?