20170417

Repair of Vinduino R3

It's probably just me, but I thought 12V was 12V... turns out, putting a battery on the Vinduino R3 isn't really optional...  And 12V from a PS-15kx might be a little too much...

I thought I could run the thing off of just a 12V power supply as it's got a solar panel hookup to charge a battery...  That's when the MCP73831 let out the magic smoke... And I ordered 100 of them off ebay.  Now, a few weeks later I've checked the capacitor closest to it for damage (I don't have a meter good enough to work on capacitors of this size, something I'll have to remedy) and replaced the battery management chip.  Successfully I might add, and now, when work will allow, I'll be able to move forward putting all the other pieces together to get my remote moisture sensors up and running.  Hopefully without letting out any more magic smoke.  I'm sure that stuff isn't healthy to breath in!

No comments: