20090712

Alaskan Summer

Well, here we go...

I got stung by a bee/wasp/hymenoptera on Tuesday while working on
removing some saplings for a guy I know from church... I didn't think
much of it, other than "ouch". I took an antihistamine, but just one...
that was my downfall. When I woke up on Wednesday my hand nice an
puffy. Not at all what you want to see first thing in the morning. So,
it was double doses of antihistamine for a few days until it finally
caught up enough to get my hand back to normal Saturday night.

I also had an eye appointment on Friday morning where I found out that
my upper eyelid/contacts have been scratching away at my eye and it
needs to heal... a lot... so I can't wear my contacts for at least two
weeks, and I have to put in these strange eye drops every two hours...
(good thing my watch has a repeatable timer.... <beep> <beep> <beep>
<beep>... drop - drop... ahhhh...

Then Friday night I was brushing my teeth and flossing like a good
little boy should, when a tooth started hurting and bleeding around the
gums... AHHHhhhh... ouchy. So, I'll be making an appointment for the
dentist this coming week... Why is my 27 year old body falling apart on
me? Why?!?!

So, Saturday I had a little melt down trying to figure out what I was
going to do (about paying for all this stuff without insurance right
now... I was supposed to be in another country by now...) and realized I
hadn't read my Bible much (ok, at all) this week... Solution? I sat in
the warm afternoon sun (why get up any earlier on a weekend?) and read
for several hours... just enough to have a nice, if slightly pinkish
glow. No, I'm smart enough (I think) not to get burnt, but that would
have made a great story.

What did I learn? Well, I read about Moses being called to lead his
people out of Egypt... "Don't pick me... Me words no gewd... Not it!"
And just laughed because I know that He's picked a path for me, and it's
the one worth following in life.

So, even though I don't know how to fix anything, I know I don't need
to. And even though I'm in Alaska, and not PNG, there are still really
neat things to see and do.

This afternoon I went with the Youth Group from my church and we played
disc golf on Birch Hill... The first time in probably three years that
I've played. I'm proud to say that my team had the lowest score of the
lot, and everyone had a good afternoon.

Then while driving home, I saw two moose next to the road that let me
take their pictures. You know what? Alaska's an ok place to be.

No comments: