20100412

Birthday Haircut

The plan keeps changing, but right now it is to take an MAF flight on
Monday to a village "close by" the airstrip in Kaiam. Then take the
motor canoe's upstream for a couple days to get to our job site. So, in
order to prepare for the additional temperature increase that will be
felt when transitioning from Mambis at 5900 feet to Kaiam at 600 feet,
and because it's my birthday today, I took time out of the day to cut my
hair shorter. I feel cooler already!

The jokes around here keep coming about a kid who transitioned from
Alaska to PNG and how everyone is shivering during the rain showers
while I'm finally feeling comfortable... Several people wear fairly
heavy coats in the morning and evening in order to stay warm... but I am
finally starting to acclimate a little bit because the temperature the
other night during a fairly windy storm was cool enough that the sheet
and heavy sheet on my bed were not enough.

In other words, going back to Alaska may be quite the shock...
especially after spending time at the airstrip where it's much, much warmer.

No comments: