20100428

Tractor bearing

Well, you know there's a problem with your tractor when the wheel stops
turning. And all these loose pieces of metal may be part of the problem.

Anton and I have had a few dry-ish days in the last week we've been at
Kaiam and have gotten some dirt moved from the hill over to the fill
spot. Yesterday was a little bit wet, but we decided to work through it
anyway. After we'd been working for about an hour we had chewed up the
soft ground pretty well and the little scraper being pulled by Anton in
the little tractor was having trouble navigating the ravines. So I came
through with the loader tractor to smooth out a little spot for him to
drive through. After clearing one pass for him, I was waiting for him
to go through and I was going to clear the rest of the area for him, but
when he tried to pass by me, his right rear tire didn't want to turn.
We call this a bad day. After a few tries forward and back, it loosened
up and he was able to drive (slowly) back to the shed where he took of
the wheel and found the resulting situation.

It looks like the bolts had loosened themselves, allowed all the oil to
drain out, resulting in a hot bearing and the pieces you see here that
remain. Down one tractor.

It's crazy hot here today... more than usual. Most nights it cools off
and we've got a refreshing breeze, but last night we had heavy cloud
cover (with some rain) and no breeze and today the humidity is through
the roof and I'm literally dripping sweat from my elbows as I type
this... And I don't usually drip. Today will probably be a great day
for a swim in the river.

No comments: