20100821

Hornbill

While we were floating down the river I decided to pull out all my big camera equipment, much to the chagrin of many of the people that were going down river with me.  They were quite concerned that if we capsized (not difficult in the very unstable dugout canoe) then my equipment wouldn't be protected in the Pelican case.  However, I would never have gotten shots like this one had I not kept my camera in hand.

It's pretty difficult to take a photo of a bird in flight as the auto focus has trouble finding the subject if it's not setup just so...  I was pretty fortunate when this Hornbill flew over.  They sound like small jet planes as you can hear the wind blowing through their wings from pretty great distances.  That helps with getting pictures of them as well because (kind of like hunting grouse) they scare you when they take off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny story... I took the kids to the zoo(because some of them had never seen one) on Labor Day, and they had one of these in one of the bird areas. It was pretty fun, I didn't realize they had them in PNG.