20100822

Mambis over look from Radio Tower

Well, it's now 2:30am and I've run out of time again to post all the pictures that I would have wanted to put on this blog, but there is some good news.  The Hospital here now has internet, their nice Cisco router (that I've been telling them they needed for two months but arrived about 28 hours ago) that is all configured for "some" of the needs here... I'd never worked with a real enterprise router before... always the home networking WRT54G type with custom firmware... Those enterprise ones are really complicated/powerful!  I really wish I had more time with that piece of equipment to get some settings more finely tuned, but that's what they get for delaying until the 11th hour...

Right now they have a hidden SSID with WEP encryption, a VLAN that broadcasts a public SSID, unfortunately I wasn't able to train anyone on how to enter in MAC address filters so that they can charge people for use of the public WLAN, but it will make it easier for all the hospital staff because I know for a fact that most of them won't be able to set their computers to connect to a hidden network and this way they can actually start using the internet that they bought and paid for well over two months ago...  It's been a frustrating couple of months that was only slightly alleviated by the fact that the Lutz's had a small WRT54G that I setup in the window so that a couple of the tech savvy doctors and I could use what the Hospital had paid so much for.

Now that router has dd-wrt firmware on it configured to be a bridged repeater for the house down here... Very handy.  Unfortunately now it's time for me to go to Kaiam, so it's back to C.R.M.F. radio email and that's it.  Quite a stark contrast.  But at least it's email... so hopefully I'll be posting more 50kb photos to this blog while I'm working on the airstrip.

Ok, enough tech talk... The photo here is the last picture I took from the Radio Tower hill looking back toward Mambis and Pausa high school with my super wide 10mm lens.   Enjoy!

No comments: