20100902

Clutch Cable Resolution

Well, it took nearly two days, but here is the resolution to the clutch
cable... It's a piece of bar stock drilled out in the center, then four
slots drilled in alternating fashion that was welded to heat it (there
is no torch here at Kaiam) then pounded while still hot to pinch the
cable in place. The piece below is the old cable end... I would have
preferred to drill that one and do something like this, but the metal
they use on those things must be extremely hard because I wasn't able to
make much more than a dent when attempting that one.

Making this part took me all day... But when you consider I had to
re-wrap six inches of frayed cable, drill three inches of bar stock,
file out the sharp edges with a small round file, charge a battery to
start the tractor to run the generator to weld the piece to smash the
sides in to pinch the cable and mushroom the top flat and I atempted to
heat it up and solder all the pieces together to help hold everything
firm... that part didn't work as I couldn't keep the part hot enough for
the solder to stick.

Today I put the part in and tested it out. The overall length of the
cable didn't change by much and from the driver's point of view it's
just like it was before. All in all I should probably be more happy
with the fix, but I guess this means I've got more driving in my
future... ;-)

1 comment: