20100926

Evening Feast

It's not just a meal, it's literally as much as you can eat during the
evening meal at Kaiam... Sometimes it's ridiculous how much food the
guys here consume, but as it turns out having just rice, cumu (sweet
leaf), and maybe a bit of tin fish for flavoring doesn't give enough
calories to keep me from loosing weight. And for those of you who know
me, know that I can't really afford to loose much.

So, from time to time, it's good to have some real protein, and on this
particular night, Nick provided for us with a smoked rubber-mouth fish
that was caught a short walk away in the Karawari river... Well, not
that short of a walk, but it's the closest place to catch a fish this
size. The nice thing about this type of fish is that most of the bones
that it has are really big and easy to take out. The bones that are a
little bit smaller are still a pain, but they're flexible enough not to
break too easily if you miss one... I really hate bones in my food.
That's probably why I hate buffalo wings so much... I don't want to
nibble my food, I want to eat it. Usually I avoid fish as well for the
same reason, but these rubber-mouth fish aren't all that bad.

No comments: