20070707

Day 22


Beginning you say?

I'm trying to remember the start of the day... I really am, but it's
just coming up as a blank. I remember going through Haynes Junction,
and thinking that I'm a lot closer to Alaska than I thought I was and I
just might make it there today.

Then the road started to go, as in it was in need of repair. For the
first time the road went from a rough 70 mph roadway, to a 'oh crap'
road at 50 mph. The frost heaved parts were marked, but they still
jumped up at you and made you just drive slower all the time, which
wasn't bad, but it makes a long drive longer.

When I was approaching the Alaska boarder, I thought I'd stop early and
hit the boarder in the morning, but for some reason my foot remained on
the gas and I drove on toward the boarder. After a quick calculation,
yep I'll have enough gas, it was a short thirteen miles from the
Canadian Customs to the US boarder... why so far? I don't know, and I
didn't feel it was the time to ask. The old fellow at the boarder seemed to be in the mood for a chat, but I could tell he was just looking for something that seemed out of place, or to get you to slip up on something, but he seemed so relaxed at it that at face value it was a normal conversation. Even so, I doubt he would have liked answering questions as opposed to simply asking them.

With nothing more to ask, he let me through. Total time at the boarder (minus the wait) about two minutes. Now in Alaska, my spirit soared. Then there was a break in the clouds and the sun started shining. Not only was the weather cooperating, but the roadway was now a true asphalt roadway, not the rock and oil resurfacing that Canada used, but a smooth blacktop. Yes, it still had some places where frost heaves had made the road quite rough, but in general the tire noise from the rocks was gone, which meant I could keep my earplugs out.

So, as it all goes I made it to Alaska. I'm in Tok and pleased to be
here. Now, I think I'll catch up on some eating and sleeping. After that, who knows?

Edit1: I haven't downloaded photos from the last couple days, but all the photos up to that point should be in the Alaska Journey - Part 2 folder. Enjoy.

Day 22 Distance: 584, Elevation: 1627 -> 3330

Continue?

No comments: