20070617

Trip so Far


I've got two days under my belt now, and I've only traveled about 600 miles so far. I think you could call that a leisurely pace, don't you?

The first night I went to my Cousin's place in western Nebraska with most of my family for his graduation picnic party. The only problem with that idea was that there were forty mile an hour gusts of wind that forced us inside for the duration of the night. For as wet as Central and Eastern Nebraska have been (and now I find out most of Colorado) the panhandle has missed all of it. That night the skies threatened rain with dark clouds and lots of ground strike lightnings. Unfortunately, they got just enough rain to put a few dots on the sidewalk and no more.

The next day, I spent some time hanging out and ended up going fishing for about an hour at Box Butte Reservoir. Apparently the Northern fishing there is quite good, and I could get them to chase a red spinner bait all the way to the side of the boat, but they just wouldn't hit it well enough to set the hook. Oh well, that was more action that my Uncles could drum up as they were fishing for walleye.

After all the fond farewells, I set off for Denver by way of Wyoming. To do this, went through Scott's Bluff. You know I don't think I've ever driven into that town from the north during the day? The view from the top of the hill is quite spectacular. The scene reminds me of the little wave that comes in front of a large ship; it looks like the Bluff is just pushing the city east at will.

When I got to another Cousin's place in Denver it was a little past supper time, and before long it was time to put the kid down. As she is just two months old, I had the opportunity to rock the baby to sleep. My specialty. I guess the kid works like a clock, normally crying herself to sleep by nine at night. No such crying on this night as I was in control. Maybe it's the fact that I bore the kids to sleep, or maybe it's the red beard lulls them into a soft slumber, but whatever it is these single digit month old kids don't stand a chance when they're in my arms. Needless to say, I'm invited back to they're place anytime.

Tomorrow, it's on to Colorado Springs, and before you think I don't know where Alaska is, know this: wander doesn't mean going straight to your destination.

Day1 Distance: 335, Elevation: 1795f -> 4160f
Day2 Distance: 286, Elevation: 3868f -> 6368f


Continue with the next post!

No comments: