20070713

Day 28


Beginning?

Awoken in a similar, but not so temperature impaired condition, I again
attempted to out sleep the precipitation, and again my stomach refused
the fight. Again the tent was hung to "dry" on the interior of my
vehicle and I parted ways with the Hope campgrounds. Feeling less
adventurous today, but still in the mood for site seeing, I arrived at
the Palmer Glacier and Visitor Center. This one, being located close to
Anchorage was quite disappointing. The theater expected me to part with
my funds, and the museum portion was either geared toward children or
the uneducated in it's attempts to convey, repeatedly, the process by
which glaciers form. Again global warming was a key element to the
"educational" process, but the history of the area was more than
lacking, unless you take into account the last ten thousand plus years.

Back in Anchorage now, I stopped in to see the Pastor and his family
again, then went to the local supermarket to relieve the symptoms of my
cold and purchase a few needed supplies.

Then it was a mad dash to Fairbanks. Not that this course of action was
intended, but my right foot took over and it insisted on it's ability to
complete the rest of the desired course in adequate time for the rest of
the body to get it's required amount of sleep. With a short side trip,
I arrived in Fairbanks at midnight, to the relief of my now quite
exhausted body. Having seen virtually none if the city, I found a
nearly full campground and pulled out my still damp tent to sleep away
the wants of the day.

It was a day of spectacular scenery, however much of it was left without
as much as a photograph as the vastness of the area could not be
adequately captured using my camera.

Day 28 Distance: 489, Elevation: 33 -> 2444

Continue?

No comments: