20070709

Day 23 & 24


Beginning...

I got up yesterday, and after trying to fix some things on this blog, I gave up. I guess this internet was just too slow for my liking and I ended up going to the Visitor Center to find out about biking and hiking trails in Alaska.

As it turned out they didn't know of any off hand, but I got a ton of paper to read through, which I probably won't do, but it's nice to have anyway.

The trip to Anchorage was very scenic. Unfortunately, most of the places to turn off the highway where not the best and most of the photos I wanted to take where ruined by bugs on my windshield. Oh well, you'll just have to see it for yourself sometime ;-).

After getting to Anchorage, I looked up the Pastor lives here (Grandma met his mom and that's how I knew to find him) and found out that it was probably his church that I would have done the VBS through all those years ago when I came to Alaska before. He was generous enough to let me crash at his place, so I did last night and I will tonight as well. Turns out he and one of his sons like to mountain bike and we went out tonight on one of the trails in town that they like to ride on.

While on the trail, we crossed a few streams on bridges and there were the first salmon heading up the streams to spawn. A little later we saw a yearling moose. This trail wasn't very technical as far as mountain bike trails go, but it wasn't a crushed gravel path either, and the sights were great to see.

While in town we hit a few of the stores to ask about mountain bike trails. I ended up buying '49 trails in the 49th state' mountain bike guide. It has maps and descriptions, so I'm hoping it's as good as the fifteen dollar price tag. I guess we'll find out tomorrow as I plan to use it while heading down to Homer.

Day 23 Distance: 321, Elevation: 52 -> 3379

Continue?

No comments: