20100226

Bee hive

I'm here in Papua New Guinea and just starting to get into the groove of
things. So far I've been working on learning the language (which is
going very slowly) and recovering from jet lag. I still don't feel like
I'm back to 100%, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

In the time I've been here I've been trying to be useful. One thing I'm
good at is breaking stuff, so when we decided to repair a rotted out
part of the house, I was eager to lend a hand with the crowbar.
Unfortunately, before we could get too far we had to remove a bee hive
that was blocking our progress. This hive was under the siding of the
house and had to be removed. In order for us not to get stung like
crazy from the bees, we tried to smoke them out, which turned out not to
work very well during the day, but it was a valiant effort anyway. The
picture here (50kb worth of it) is a picture of me trying to remove the
siding to let the smoke fill the hive. Eventually we gave up on this
approach and came back that rainy night and use a spatula to scrape the
bees into a big pan, cover it with a towel, and throw the whole thing
into the freezer. Bye-bye bees!

Now I'm working on making a honeycomb/fruit squeezer to extract all the
wonderful juices we have. I'll try to post pictures of that contraption
when it's finished.

Oh, and you should note that I got stung once... Darn bee crawled up
the spatula... grrrrr.

1 comment:

tiapugh said...

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you made it and are already making messes and causing general chaos.

I like it.

Praying that all is well.